“If you think back and replay your year and you don’t recall tears either sad or happy consider your year a waste.”
This line has stuck with me for some time. I don’t recall where I heard it, but I’ve carried its meaning with me each year as I’ve looked back at my life and the string of moments that are now in my past. Moments I may not have fully appreciated at the time and others I vaguely recall fleetingly passing through time…my time, my year, my life. As is often the case, life’s little moments present the biggest lessons but too often we are so caught up in what we are feeling in that particular moment that we miss the full essence of its significance. The present moment stirs up emotions that slowly roll over our heart and mind like a cloud cluster across an expanse of sky blocking the light that could bathe us in warmth and wisdom. It is only when the clouds move on that we look back, not knowing what we are seeking but sure we’ve missed something meaningful.
Thus, if I could give my younger self a bit of guidance now that I’ve had some time to deposit moments in my memory bank, I would share the following.
- Life isn’t always what it appears to be. Always take a moment to look beneath the surface. It is when you dig a little deeper that treasures are discovered.
- There are moments when your heart will break into a million pieces. Know that another moment will arrive that will put those pieces back together and you will be the better for it.
- The moment you think you can’t do something is the moment you’ve allowed someone else’s negativity to cloud your judgment. Believe in yourself.
- There will be moments when your heart will burst with love. Cherish them. These are the moments worth living for.
- At times it will feel like you’re drowning, kicking your legs, burning your lungs, clawing at the surface. Keep going because the moment where you can shoot out of the deep water and break the surface, filling your lungs with air and feeling the sun on your face once more isn’t as far off as it seems.
- There will be moments when you will be so proud of your accomplishments, you will want to share them with the world. Share them and bask in the glory, never forgetting the journey that got you there.
- The moment will undoubtedly arrive, likely more than once, when you will be paralyzed by fear. Do not let fear dictate your outcome. Pray. Listen to your heart. Choose a direction. Take the first step.
- If the moment ever comes when you have to choose whether to forgive or forget, understand that the two do not go hand in hand. You can forgive without forgetting.
- You will have regrets. Do not let them define you.
- Moments of failure are necessary in life. In order to be a winner, you have to understand what it’s like to be a loser.
Contrary to popular belief, filling your bank account with money shouldn’t be your ultimate goal in life. Money may make some aspects of your life more comfortable, give you a sense of security, and maybe provide some experiences you might not have otherwise. However a memory bank full of moments and each tiny detail that makes up a single moment in time is definitely worth your effort. Don’t miss out on the many opportunities to fill your memory bank with “moments.” Good or bad, each moment will be one of many of life’s valuable experiences. It will be scary sometimes to think of what the future holds, but know that it will be filled with many many moments…some of which you will learn a painful lesson from and some of which you will want to relive over and over again. Just know that a memory bank full of “moments” will be more valuable than gold when you get older.
12 thoughts on “Statement: Bank Account Low. Immediate Deposit Necessary.”
Numbers 1, 9 and 10 I am experiencing very acutely right now. However, I agree with the entire list. 🙂
Those are the ones I think we all experience multiple times on our path. I think it’s especially difficult to let go of 9 and 10. Hugs to you!
2.There are moments when your heart will break into a million pieces. Know that another moment will arrive that will put those pieces back together and you will be the better for it.
Thank you for another inspiring, true, real post! I love number two…if we shine our light in that dark river of heartbreak…we do see the miracles…we do and we do emerge stronger, more insightful, more grateful and compassionate for this one beautiful, spectacular life.
Much love to you!
I’m glad you were inspired by my list. I’m sure you could add a few of your own given your own journey recently. Would love to read your list some day. Hugs!
What fantastic advice. Absolutely beautiful. I especially loved this one: “There are moments when your heart will break into a million pieces. Know that another moment will arrive that will put those pieces back together and you will be the better for it.” It is so true, and hits me right where I’m at in life at the moment.
Thank you. I think that’s one that many of us can relate to…unfortunately or fortunately. It’s hard to see the moment that’s just around the corner when we are in so much pain. I’m glad your pieces are being put back together. You’re an inspiration!
Beautiful! I love your list….it’s so very true
Thank you! I’m sure you have a few of your own that you would add to it!
A very timely read because I sure am in the pits right now.
I’m sorry to hear that! I hope things get better for you soon. Keep #5 in mind and be patient. I’m here if you need me.
This is another one of your amazing posts that I am sure I will go back and find to read again.
Thank you. I hope you find a bit of inspiration each time.